HERO MOTOCORP REPORTS HIGHEST EVER SALES IN A CALENDAR YEAR
CAPS-OFF 2016 WITH RECORD SALES OF 6.76 MILLION UNITS
New Delhi, January 2, 2017
Capping off a year of significant milestones, Hero MotoCorp Ltd. (HMCL), the world’s largest two-wheeler manufacturer, today reported its highest-ever sales in a calendar year.
Hero MotoCorp sold a record 67,62,980 units of two-wheelers in the period January-December 2016, translating into a growth of 4.3% over the previous calendar year (2015) when the company had sold 64,86,103 two-wheeler units.
The cumulative sales of HMCL so far in the Financial Year 2017 (April-December 2016), has now risen to 50,24,129 units.
HMCL sold 3,30,202 units in December 2016, against 4,99,665 units in the corresponding month last year. The company’s manufacturing facilities at Gurgaon, Neemrana and Haridwar were closed from December 26th-31st on account of annual maintenance.
Highlights of the Year (January-December 2016):
- The Hero ‘Centre of Innovation and Technology’ (CIT) in Jaipur, commenced operations in March 2016
Consolidation of Leadership Team
- Mr. Pawan Munjal re-appointed as company’s Chairman, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, for a period of five years (effective October 1, 2016)
- Appointment of Mr. Malo Le Masson as the Head of Global Product Planning
- Ms. Neerja Sharma appointed as the Company Secretary and Chief Compliance Officer, Hero MotoCorp
New Product Introductions
- The first set of in-house designed and developed motorcycles - Splendor iSmart 110 and Achiever 150 - launched in July 2016 and September 2016 respectively
- 70 million cumulative production mark crossed in September 2016
- Highest-ever monthly sales of 674,961 achieved in September 2016
- Six-lakh plus sales achieved in four months during the Calendar year 2016 - October (663,153) September (6,74,961) August (6,16,424) and March (606,542)
- Record retail sales registered during the festive period; 1 million sales mark crossed even before Dhanteras and Diwali
- Augmented leadership in the 125cc motorcycle segment with the ‘Glamour’ becoming the largest-selling 125cc motorcycle in the country
Strategic Sports Initiatives
- Forayed- into motorsports rally racing with ‘Hero MotoSports Team Rally’ through strategic partnership with Speedbrain GmbH,
- Association with Golf on the global stage further strengthened through association with the British Masters
- Title Sponsorship of Caribbean Premier League (CPL) extended for another three year
- Hosted Hero World Challenge, a Tiger-Woods Invitational PGA-sanctioned golf tournament in the Bahamas for the third consecutive year.