Impulse Review

Discussions related to Hero Impulse.

Impulse Review

Postby subhadip82 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi
I have driven Hero’s Bike for last 8 years. Recently I purchased impulse, the design was awesome and the look is difficult to resist.
But after driving it for 5000 Kilometers, I have observed few things mentioned below:-

Good Things:-
1) Good suspension -You won’t feel any vibration driving even at 70 speed limit.
2) You don’t care about water logging.
3) Light weight compared to other 150 cc bike
4) Comfortable seat and ergonomics for rider
5) Large front tyre helps to tackle bumps with ease.

Not so Good:-
1) The power transmission from 1st gear to 2 gear is not smooth.
2) The engine gets abnormally heated up. So during the rainy season your feet will be washed off continuously with Luke water splashing from the engine.
3) Worst is the mileage. If you drive at an average speed of 50 km, you will get 45 km + mileage. However, my average driving speed is 70 km + and the mileage I get is around 37 km. Even worst, when I frequently drive my bike at 3 digit speed limit, the mileage is around 27 km.
4) There’s a sound coming from the front section of the bike which cannot be fixed at the service center.
5) In case of different terrain, the front wheel gets Dis balance- The height becomes the disadvantage.
6) Difficult to drive in rainy seasons considering the amount of water it displaces.
7) The Seat though is comfortable for pillion, but when you are driving 30 kms nonstop the feet starts paining of the pillion.
8) Large turning radius.

Cheers
Sam
subhadip82

Re: Impulse Review

Postby ca_manish.rastogi » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:22 pm

The sound from the front is irritating. I am a Bike traveller. I had travelled whole Nepal, Jim Corbett, Kasauli, Chakrata etc with my Impulse and Previously Leh, Assam, Gaya, Banglore with my CBZ star. So i like my bike to be in perfect condition. But unable to do it with this bike.

First of all, the front sound in which the showroom service personnel are helpless. I even tried changing con set but worthless.
Its really hard to get spare parts. It needed min 21 days at any service centre.
It gives low mileage on highway. even lower than my previously 160cc heavy bike i.e. CBZ Star.
Luggage carrying is very tough.

This bike is good but showroom should have trained personnel for new Bike and company should ensure timely availability of spares.
And also actual milege on actual conditions should be presented. I am not going to travel at 50kmph speed on highway with my 150cc bike.
Also company should ensures that people are getting their Bikes in good condition. My bike comes with faulty clutch plates, clutch drums and con set. And only i know how much i have gone through to get these things repaired in warranty, only waste of lot of time. There is no proper complain service. For every reigon there is one person which has good setting with showroom.

At least Hero should ensures proper availability of spares. I was a great admirer of Hero / Hero Honda.

But this time I am really disappointed.
ca_manish.rastogi

Postby kuber.kushal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:46 am

Hi guys.....i have been using The IMPULSE for 1.5 years.......it is the best on and off roader and one of the best bikes by HERO MOTOCORP.

As far as the service is concerned, yes the service persons are not at all trained and are unable to define the problems. Hero needs to improve the service quality. Earlier hero used to be the best when it came to service but the service quality has considerably dropped to a low.

As far as the spare parts are concerned Hero is on a backfoot on this front too, spare parts of only splendour plus are available in the market, all other models are neglected as far as the spare parts supply is concerned. In Pune, it took me 8 months to get the knuckle guards.

Mileage : I have seen some reviews complaining about the mileage of the IMPULSE, but i have been getting a good mileage from the bike, it gives me 50-55 kmpl mileage in city and upto 60kmpl on the highway.

The noise that we get from the front when going in a pothole is the sound of bearing race unit, it cannot be cured and doesnt have much effect on the performance of the bike.

The Impluse being an on-off roader is bound to splash mud in rains but thats the part and parcel of off roaders.

The Impulse is a brilliant bike and i love each and every mile on this beauty.
kuber.kushal

Postby ca_manish.rastogi » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi Kuber kaushal

Can you send me your contact no on my mail i.e. ca_manish.rastogi@yahoo.com. I need to talk about the settings for milege issue

kuber.kushal@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi guys.....i have been using The IMPULSE for 1.5 years.......it is the
> best on and off roader and one of the best bikes by HERO MOTOCORP.
>
> As far as the service is concerned, yes the service persons are not at all
> trained and are unable to define the problems. Hero needs to improve the
> service quality. Earlier hero used to be the best when it came to service
> but the service quality has considerably dropped to a low.
>
> As far as the spare parts are concerned Hero is on a backfoot on this front
> too, spare parts of only splendour plus are available in the market, all
> other models are neglected as far as the spare parts supply is concerned.
> In Pune, it took me 8 months to get the knuckle guards.
>
> Mileage : I have seen some reviews complaining about the mileage of the
> IMPULSE, but i have been getting a good mileage from the bike, it gives me
> 50-55 kmpl mileage in city and upto 60kmpl on the highway.
>
> The noise that we get from the front when going in a pothole is the sound
> of bearing race unit, it cannot be cured and doesnt have much effect on the
> performance of the bike.
>
> The Impluse being an on-off roader is bound to splash mud in rains but
> thats the part and parcel of off roaders.
>
> The Impulse is a brilliant bike and i love each and every mile on this
> beauty.
ca_manish.rastogi

Postby ketan.bishnoi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:47 am

Hi all...
It has been almost an year since i have been using impulse, and i got it second hand, so yeah, i faced much more problems
I agree with almost all problems you posted here for impulse.
But i believe i have a fair enough explanation.
first of all , i feel sorry for "manish" for having such a hard time, and thanku "kuber" for explaining that sound.
The only really irritating thing was the sound from front suspension, and now i can live peacefully after knowing the reason.
Manish, I don't know where u reside, but i am in mumbai. I do face problems of spare parts, but i have found a way.
The central warehouse of hero is in outer mumbai, and i do have to travel a little far, but i always get the spare parts easily.
you should also try the same.
subhadip, the shift from 1st to 2nd gear is deliberately set so. if u r really very uncomfortable with it, get a custom made sprocket,
in the chain sprocket set, i think for the rear one it is 52 teeth or something like that. Increase it by one. you will have to look around
a bit to find someone who casts custom made sprockets.
regarding heating up of engine, turn around radius are not big problems.
heating up problem is intense in duke bikes.
the wobbly front tire, as u mentioned, is actually just a feeling and not actuality. If u want to test, fit a camera with the front shockup fork.
About the uncomfortable pillion seat, this bike is actually designed for single travel.
However, any bike seat maker can customize it to make pillion seat broader, that too in less that 1000/1500 bucks.

I sincerely believe that in any bike, even foreign ones, we have to make customization to fit our needs and we should be comfortable with that.

One problem is that hero compromised on tire treading, means these are good off road but have lesser traction ON road.
for that, if u r ready to spend some bucks, buy pirrelli tires. u might have to get them imported, but they r really good.

please update me if u have some suggestions, new ideas about impulse customizations or anything.....cheerio

and yes, DO NOT go to hero service centre. Try out a few local mechanics and stick to the one u like.
if some mumbaikar wants to know, I go to goregaon east, near durgadevi saraf college. Ask for rahim there
ketan.bishnoi

Postby sriram.agency3377 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:28 pm

New Model of Extreme is very nice try it..
sriram.agency3377

Postby ketan.bishnoi » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi all,
REGARDING MILEAGE
Recently I came across a beautiful thing in my bike.
Problem: My bike could not go above 60kmph and hit a drag after 50 kmph.
Solution:
There's a plastic piston sort of thing in carburetor, which is called butterfly or slide.
Don't know what your mechanic may call it, but he will understand by these words. This butterfly slides up and down with accelerator
and allows air in and out. NOW, in impulse, it is made of plastic (like in all others) but is covered with fine sprinkle on rubber dust.
This butterfly jams if in really bad condition and usually gets a little tight. This happens because the rubber dust gets puffed by regular
contact with petrol and air.

What to do: Just ask your mechanic to wipe of the dust by scratching it with a blade or something. Then it will again be smooth and
will increase pick up. There itself you can ask mechanic to modulate air supply to increase mileage.

Note: Do not allow very little air setting, as it will increase mileage but will mess up torque, the main reason to buy impulse.

P.S. : Earlier people said that the engine gets too hot. This is deliberately done in impulse so that the exhaust won't get too hot. So don't worry about that. :-) Cheers!!
ketan.bishnoi

Postby gujaratpakers » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:40 pm

thanks for this information.
gujaratpakers

Return to Impulse